Endlers U.S.A. Forum Index
Portal  •  Forum  •  Profile  •  Search   •  Register  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in   

Salt or no salt?

kangakoi

usa.gif

PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 07:02    Salt or no salt? Reply with quoteBack to top

Very quite around here so I am try to get something going, hope that people not throwing stones at me. I asked on the other thread to why Mr Dgrumman add salt into his Endler tanks and how much. Mr Dgrumman said that the endler seem happier.

Koi people in the UK avocate soft, soft water for koi by using RO and koi will grow bigger but on the other hand we want our endler to be small small and radioactive. may be super hard water is the key? what is(are) your opinions on this? I will be very sad if there no response to this. Thanks

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
belascoh

germany.gif

PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 15:33    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

hello,

i'll try to breed all my livebearers in my normal water, which has a kh of 6-8 and a gh of 14-16 and a ph between 7,6-7,8
I don't give them salt, only if neccessary when they are ill.

SCGeordie

usa.gif

PostPosted: 09.09.2011, 19:32    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've used salt on occasion in my Endler tanks, but only when I've suspected ich might be present. Ph is around 7.0 - 7.2, no idea of kh.
I think that like most fw fish Endlers need the Ph to remain stable, as long as it's not too low and not too high.
I only use salt in any of my tanks if I suspect a problem and don't think I've lost a fish to anything other than old age for about 6 months - 46g Bowfront community, 19g bio-cube Endler males, 40g breeder Boesemani Rainbows and 2 x 20g long Endler breeding colony.

M. Boesemani LFS * M. Boesemani 'German Red' * M. Trifasciata 'Wonga Creek' * M. Trifasciata 'Goyder River' * M. Praecox 'Pagai' * M. Vanheurni * G. Multisquamata 'Pagai' * P. Conniae * M. Sp. 'Rawarra Village' * Wild Type (N) Black Bar Endler

kangakoi

usa.gif

PostPosted: 12.09.2011, 06:57    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you Belascoh and SCGeordie,

My questions along the line,

1) would the endlers loose their Viviness if we to keep them in contant presh water

2)will they increase in size.

We do not suffer these problems in Australia since all our "Endlers" are Major "K" or Major "P" so these questions are solely for the Lucky "N" class keeper.

I am thinking would endler tanks suffer Ich becuase the temp usually High and would salt still be effective with the modern 2011 Ich? Please no name calling becuase stupid people asks stupid questions..hi..hi..Thanks

orquiven

venezuela.gif

PostPosted: 30.07.2012, 08:28    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Kanga , I added salt (one table spoon/100lt.) to one of my Campoma winguei aquarium and at the next day they were all very happy with nicer colors and males chasing the girls as never. Girls also with brighter color , like shining a little bit.
I will keep on doing it and will experiment how much salt they can stand and the consecuences . I
I will also see how the foxtail plants, naja,two elodeas species and my Venezuelan java moss which I keep with my fishes will behave with the salt .
Do any one knows where can In get information about water plant salt resistance ?
I should do this measuring in gramos/ lt in a more cientific way also measuring ph and other things. But I am short of time. I will measure the watter tomorrow and will compare it to tne next aquarium without salt

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Rod

australia.gif

PostPosted: 30.07.2012, 09:57    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you will find all live bearers like water with a high conductivity....
generally hard and alkaline
I prefer to add bi carb soda and Epsom salts.....because that's what I use for my Tangs and they are more plant friendly
but NaCl (salt) works well on sick fish.....

orquiven

venezuela.gif

PostPosted: 30.07.2012, 14:43    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I will try both now epson and soda, more flasks to use now . but sounds interesting to try other salts.
I thought about sea salt because those places are very close to the sea and I do not doubt somo see water gets into it once in a while .
I changed the water yesterday after taking the photos and today in the morning when i went to feed and see they shine so much. I am more surpriced .
One thing I noticed today is that one of the girls(out of 40) have a little brighter and slightly more yellow than the others ( not reaching to the point to consider her as blond) I will place appart with one of her males. One more flask to take care of

JaSa

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: 31.07.2012, 07:29    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm on rainwater and so are my tanks. I therefor add 1 tea spoon of sea salt to every 10l and also have fine oyster grit in a little bag in the filter and a bit worked in the sand on the ground.
Since I do that instead of normal NaCl the plants and fish are much better growing...

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
FlavusSnow

usa.gif

PostPosted: 31.07.2012, 15:14    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I generally use more potassium chloride than sodium chloride. the plants can use the potassium, and the chloride is what helps the fish gills. I habitually dose at 1 tsp (american tsp) per 100 gallons. This is also a good trick to avoid nitrite poisoning - each 1 tsp/ 100 gal will raise fish tolerance of nitrite approximately 1 ppm. Do not exceed 10 tsp / 100 gal.
orquiven

venezuela.gif

PostPosted: 31.07.2012, 18:12    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Good to know. I can get that , I will keep that on mind, I use potasium sulphate as fertilizer for my orchids, Could that be used .
FlavusSnow

usa.gif

PostPosted: 31.07.2012, 21:46    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

potassium sulphate will not have the same effect on lower the stress level caused by nitrites. Also, if I remember correctly, most freshwater fish have a lower tolerance of the sulphate ion than they do chloride.

The way that chloride helps is when the chloride concentration in the water is higher than that of nitrite, then the uptake of nitrite is replaced by the uptake of chloride into the fish's blood. Chloride, being of lower toxicity, is then passed through the fishes system and the nitrite stays out in the water where eventually your bacteria will catch up and convert it to nitrate.

orquiven

venezuela.gif

PostPosted: 01.08.2012, 00:24    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very interesting , I will try all these when I have some extra time.
Thanks Flavus

jimmyarcane

australia.gif

PostPosted: 08.09.2012, 14:16    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Being from Australia, this more a Aquestion for my fellow Ozys, Im in Mackay, QLD, Is there a Breeder or Someone with Endlers neer me I can tradr with, New blood and All Smile pm me Please
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

Board Security

3727 Attacks blocked